<VV> Trouble with idle back & PG question

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Nov 12 20:53:30 EST 2005

Spent another fruitless hour that wound up with extraction of my aunchient
Heathkit  ignition analyzer from the Sun DT-680 it has been sitting on for
the last decade.  Fired it up after resetting everything including drilling
the orifice in the PCV tube out to 1/16 (book says 5/64" but 1/16 was all I
could  do by spinning the drill in my fingers). Smoke at idle mostly
disappeared but get puffs when revved.

Shot of the ignition scope with engine at idle (without flash so several
ignition pulses showing a little scatter) is at
http://padgett.ws/files/analyzer.jpg

Hokay, Unisys says carbs are balanced at 800 and 1500 rpm.  Idle in N at
800 rpm is stable and smooth. 1/2 turn richer idle mixture from rpm drop.

Put in drive and drops to about 500 rpm. Only stays there for a few seconds
before misfiring begins (timing light stops flashing). A "loose timing
chain" rattle occurs (detonation ?) and the engine stalls. Theremocouples
on #2 and #5 plugs are reading 240F with 80F ambient.

So question: is a 300 rpm drop when PG is put in gear at 800 rpm normal ?
If the rattle is detonation, why (8 degrees initial and pretty much all 93
octane now) ?

Did have a couple of weeks when it would idle, then went downhill. Seems to
be a history of doing that with this car. Suppose should pull carbs off
again and check all passages (are 66 -024s with PE and 50 jets. Is going to
52 jets advised while open ?)

Seemed to be very little sediment in gas tank when pulled the sender. Note:
ran best with almost no gas in tank, ok with 1/2, most cranky after put
another 6 gallons of 93 in this morning. Not enough of a sample to know if
related but may be an indicator.

Note: is quite cold blooded even with chokes full closed & 70-80 degree
start, as soon as pull-off does its thing will stall. Several cycles
required before will stay running. Related ?

Things would be a lot simpler if had a good running 110/PG to compare
settings & readouts but don't so need to perform a data dump and ask.

Thanks,

Padgett