<VV> Porsche Babble

Bucketboss at aol.com Bucketboss at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 09:39:31 EST 2005

I have both and yes Porsche mechanics would never rebuild an engine without
replacing the head studs and timeserting the case. They have, over the years,
had real trouble with head studs.The 2.7l common in the 70's were notoriuos.
They used different alloys and such (alloy, steel, dilavar?) and even putting a
nick in a dilivar stud with say a pliers would make it seemingly gauranteed to
fail. Remember they use aluminum cylinders which expand differently than the
studs causing all kind of grief. Some had magnesium cases as well.  They also
have individual cylinder heads, not ganged. Believe me, you don't want to
think of how much it costs to replace all the studs on a Porsche motor. All of
this seems non-existant in Corvair motors..... thank heavens. From what I
understand, leave well enough alone and the Corvair studs work just dandy. Let the
Porsche guys lose sleep over this one.

Dave Fierek

3 Corsas into it