<VV> Fuel pump leak questions

Rburger rcbmc at bentonrea.com
Mon Nov 14 18:03:25 EST 2005

Friends;

Just got my rebuilt 110/PG running. Fuel pump leaks significantly. Appears to be leaking around the lower membrane, which I presume is the diaphragm. The fuel pump has only a few thousand miles on it and didn't leak on the engine I removed it from. (I installed a rebuilt engine and transferred the carbs, fuel pump, alternator, etc. from the old engine.) However, the fuel pump hadn't been run for about a year and a half. I recall that there is some potential compatibility issue with the length of the fuel pump pushrod - long versus short. I used the same pushrod that the pump had in the old engine. Anyone have experience with a similar problem? Is it likely that the fuel pump inner workings dried up and failed from disuse? Would a ruptured diaphragm leak or simply fail to function?

Thanks,

Richard Burger