<VV> Re: M60A1 engines

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 19:52:17 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/14/05 2:33:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, tonyu at roava.net
writes:
> By the way, the M-60A1 main battle tank that the Army used for so
> long also has an air cooled engine, and a boxer at that, built by
> Continental, has 12 cylinders and 750 hp.   When was the last time
> anybody saw an air cooled 12 cylinder diesel?

That was a V-12..1720ci  Turbocharged..750 hp @  2400rpm....tweak the
governor to 3300rpm and add a larger "pill" [jet]  and you could go over 50mph...and
centrifugal force would throw the tracks if not super tight!  I held the
record uphill and DOWN  on "DeadmanHill" in Hoenfels [sp?]  ATTC in West Germany.

An  although a tank commander..I replaced many blown pistons / cylinders
[jugs].

The real powerhouse was the same engine on gasoline..SUPERCHARGED!!!  1000
hp!   M-88 Tank Retreiver....

M-24  has the twin v8 Cads.. with Hydramatic treanmissions!

Matt Nall  11E60
65/66/69/DB/BT
Coos Bay, Ore.