<VV> RE: 1966 Corsa 140-4speed for Powerglide Swap

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Tue Nov 15 15:51:04 EST 2005

You're both right... but I think you're both talking about different engines.

A 140PG engine behind a PG trans performs similar to a 110 at the low end and much better on the top
end... the best overall factory engine for a PG. (Remember a 140PG has a 95 cam along with high
compression in it for low end...)   A regular 140 behind a PG is a _serious_ dog... I think a low
compression 80hp would out accelerate it.

I run a 140PG hooked to a 4 speed. Most people who drive the car think it's one of the quicker "stock"
Corvairs they've driven....because it FEELS strong. But measure it with a stopwatch and a normal 140
will outrun it for anything more than a low speed sprint. I think even in the 0-60 run the normal 140 would
be faster...but it would be close. 0-40 or so the 140PG might be faster...

Even with enhanced breathing, the cam feels "all in" by about 4800 rpm and it's down something like
15% in power over a normal 140. But hook a 1000lb trailer to both cars and it's a different story... ;-)

Bill

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:28:07 -1100, Larry Forman wrote:

>Hi Gary,
>Regarding "A powerglide behind a 140 is fairly gutless, (my opinion)", I am pretty sure that is far from reality.  I have heard that the 140 PG was actually the
fastest accelerating Corvair even over the 180 turbos, however, I have not checked the documented evidence.