<VV> Franklin Engines - No Corvair

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 19:45:33 EST 2005

Well, I did some digging on flat 8s. And they do indeed have 2 plane, 8
throw cranks. And each bank is not even firing, just like a V8. At least the
Porsche 908 does, as well as the Lycoming IO720 aircraft flat 8s.
Obviously a flat crank will get you 4 cylinders arriving at TDC together,
and that must makes the thing run like a BIG honkin' 4. Common throw cranks MAY
work, ala V8 style, but there are some pretty nasty harmonics to deal with.
However, flat 10s and flat 12s use 5 and 6 throw cranks, respectively.
Anyhow, fun to think about... Still simpler to find an appropriate off the
shelf engine, even if it is German, etc...

In a message dated 11/14/2005 9:05:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jekepler at amplex.net writes:

>  Well, there's the Ferrari TR flat 12. And the various Subaru flat 6s,  and
> the big gun Porsche engines, even with 6 cylinders, make  exceptional
output,
> even for the air cooled ones..  <G>

Are ya'll forgetting the Porsche flat-8 in the 908?   The flat-12 in the 917?
How 'bout the same flat-12 turbocharged cranking a  whopping 1200 hp in the
917-30K?  All big, all more than 6, all  air-cooled!

John