<VV> Re: Air-cooled V-12

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Thu Nov 17 14:12:43 EST 2005

I'm coming into this thread late, but here's a comment on the Continental
V-12 diesel in M-60 (and M-48A3) battle tanks... The engine was (is) air-cooled,
so wouldn't it be neat to slip one into the back of a Rampside?

Also, while the reference (below) sent in by Tony states its horsepower as
750, we we told by the Army's Armor School folks in 1965 (a l-o-n-g time ago)
that the rating was cut to 742.5 hp, due to a switch to leaner injectors that
caused less exhaust smoke. A cleaner environment was not the reason; less smoke
makes a tank harder to spot from a distance, or so they figured.

--Tom Berg
Aging vet in Ohio

In a message dated 11/16/2005 9:14:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,