<VV> End of the season - almost, but not yet

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 16:39:39 EST 2005

I spent the day yesterday travelling down to Harrison ID, about 50 miles out
and half-way around lake Coeur d'Alene. At 35 degrees and mystically overcast,
I had the road to myself. What a drive!  Smooth but tight turns of asphalt
curled around almost every nook and cranny of the lake's edge. Every curve
offered different combinations of forest, lake, and basalt outcroppings to view,
absorb and refresh.  Only a few deciduous trees had any color left to brighten
my cool and wet view.    Once in Harrison, I met with Jim Sharron, owner of a
nice "for sale" 66 140/4 Monza convertible. I gave it a thorough look, acting
as a set of eyes for a potential buyer out on the coast.  After looking at the
car, I expected to get some fuel and toddle on back. Imagine my surprise when
I learned that there's no fuel for sale in Harrison!  A couple of tense miles
passed until I saw a pump in front of a grocery store in a marina a couple of
bays up the lake - premium and unleaded too!  And to think; if I had installed
the winter tires last weekend as I had planned, I would have gone over the
snow-covered pass and taken the more direct 50mph two-lane instead.  I'm glad I
didn't.
Craig Nicol