<VV> Re: main jet vs idle

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Nov 19 14:49:21 EST 2005

>  I find it difficult to understand how the main
>jet would affect the idle and the transition or sometimes called the
>progression circuit, during low speed operation.

Agree, all gas is fed to the well though the main jet however the flow
should be so low at idle that the difference between a 50 and 52 should be
irrevelant.

BTW this entire issue has been about low speed idle in Drive (under 700
rpm), no transitional elements should be involved.

Issue was clouded by idler bearing that was only noisy at low rpms.

Yesterday I removed both carbs and replaced the 50 jets with 52s. Only
change made there than a general inspection to make sure that the PE
needles were not stuck and there was no sediment.

On reassembly the idle was noticeably smoother and steadier. It is
certainly possible that I dislodged an obstruction without noticing it but
the idle was not that bad before, more "not good enough". Would have
probably never have been noticed on stick car.

The #4 plug stopping firing is bothersome but have seen on rare occasions
before a plug that just did not do well at low rpms. Are all W8ACs
purchased in September so not many miles. Not entirely comfortable with
choice but cheap.

Inspected the #4 plug and other than slight blackening, it looked new and
was gapped .035" yesterday when performing compression check. Have not run
much since choice is with rattling idler or without fan.

Now the car has a history of idling well following close attention and then
deteriorating so not 100% sure problem is solved. Not having many spares
yet is also an issue and slows things down. (Turkey Rod Run is next weekend
with Florida's largest swap meet so hope to pick up some essentials).

My Heathkit Ignition Analyzer (1015) is the smaller one and does not have
all of the features of the more deluxe units so will have to build a kill
board. Plan also to swap ignition wires though these were recently
installed by PO and are 8mm Silicone. Is hard to describe in a post but
acts like a plug that runs fine for a while, then fouls, and then starts
firing again when revved. May try opening idle mixture a touch more but at
2.5 turns already.

If nothing else, now I know what a smooth idle for a Corvair feels like and
have a target.

Padgett