<VV> Re: main jet vs idle, Plug fouling. Longish

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Nov 20 12:13:56 EST 2005

 >Is it possible that the fuel pump is weak (leaky valves?) and isn't pumping
at low RPM.   Engine goes lean.  Rev it up and refill carbs... <

Fuel pump was just replaced by PO a few months ago. Just ran the following
test: Ran engine until warm and idle did the drop from 650 to 400. Ran
there for a minute or two and allowed to die on its own. Removed carbs.
Both bowls were filled equally and to the right level..

 >All other things being equal, if you notice that the difference in the
adjustment of your mixture needles is significant (say one turn out vs.
three on the other), it might indicate you have mixed clusters.<

Both carbs are balanced to the Unisyn and have the same mixture (2.5 turns
though 2.0 turns seems the same) adjustment and close to same idle screw
setting. When apart day before yesterday I did not notice any difference in
the clusters but only looked for both to be asymmetrical. Same for internal
parts.

Given that one carb was nice as bought and the other had considerable
sediment and was missing the PE needle, anything is possible.

I really think the carbs are close since 650 rpm in drive while it lasts
(which has been several minutes) is nice and Unisys shows good balance both
at low idle and at 2000 rpm. Really feels to me as if one plug is fouling
and another goes  in sympathy when the revs drop.  Just looked at #3 and
looks essentially new except for dull blackening. Looks a little like the
cold or carbon fouling illustration in any generic Chilton's manual but
also looks a lot like any other used plug I've pulled.

Let me reiterate: From cold start (is a touch cold blooded so wants a bit
of extra throttle at first, may just not have enough fast idle it warms up
nicely. Once chokes open fully idles is a nice stable 650 in D (will hold
800 all day in N).

At 800 rpm in N, pulling each plug wire in turn results in a drop of 60-80 rpm.

After a while (can be minutes, can be seconds, usually comes on quickly
once starts ) "something" happens and idle in D drops to 350-400. Pulling
#1, #2, or #5 kills engine, #3 or #4 nothing happens, and #6 is somewhat
anomalous. All plugs (W8AC with about 300 miles and hours of idling) have
black (not oily) insulators and electrodes  (may be from too much idling)
but all look about the same. Revving to 2000 in N for a while (15-20
seconds)  restores the 650 in Drive idle for up to 20-30 seconds, then
drops again.

I will find the solution but have to replace the idler pulley before going
anywhere since can feel vibration in housing and is quite noisy under 600
rpm. May just go to a hotter coil to match the Pertronics Ignitor II.
Should the gap change with this combo or should I keep it at .030 ?

Padgett