<VV> 140 bashing

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Nov 21 10:53:48 EST 2005

Don't get me wrong... I think the 140 is the best Corvair engine made... but not necessarily the most the
reliable.

Whether overheated or not, in stock condition it DOES drop valve seats. And the torque curve (of the
normal 140, not the 140PG engine) is not even close to being optimally suited to heavy loads.  Finally,
engines in RV's are more likely to be used on trips well outside of the local area (where most folks drive
their cars.) This fact would make me lean more towards reliability than performance.

Therefore, I made the recommendation that the best engine for this application would NOT be a 140.
Despite your impressive history with your Ultra, I'd make the same recommendation for your application
as well.

In my opinion, your data point of a single troublefree 140 engine under arduous conditions is
outweighed by the data of the wider Corvair community. Should you replace the engine with a 110? I
likely wouldn't... but then I also wouldn't be surprised when it dropped a valve seat on me either.

All of my comments are directed at mostly stock engines. If you've spent the money to have deep valve
seats installed, then you're in good shape... but also in the tiny minority of 140 owners.

Bill