<VV> Re: main jet vs idle and spark plug miss

Bob Lindsey rlindsey at pa.net
Mon Nov 21 13:34:59 EST 2005

Also, an old biker's trick from the 40s & 50s.  Plugs would foul out while
riding.  Biker would simply reach down, partially pull of the offending plug
wire, plug would fire.  Re-installed lead, drove happily on (bugs on teeth).

Bob Lindsey

Frank wrote:

Also, if you are old enough you can remember the snake oil salesmen with the
gadget that they inserted in series with the center tower on the distributor
and coil lead. The engine was run with out the device and a tachometer
showed a certain RPM. They then inserted the device and the tachometer
showed more RPM. Hucksters I tell you. It was nothing more than a spark gap
to provide a higher voltage spark at idle. Maybe they leaned out the mixture
to get such a change for their demo. I saw it demonstrated on a Pontiac
straight 8 flathead back about 1960. J.C. Whitney also had them for sale....

I have also heard more cylinder compression needs more spark plug voltage.
Hence the better coils on the Spyders.