<VV> Re: spark under high compression (kinda corvair interest)

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 20:31:04 EST 2005

my early experiments with spark under high compression started with my spyder
with wrong (deliberately higher compression) heads on it. it broke up about
as soon as boost started. i played with plugs in an old champion spark plug
cleaner / tester. you had a window to look at the spark gap while it was fireing.
as you added air pressure (up to about 140 lbs) the spark would weaken. you
could see difference with different plugs. soo i got into cd ignition systems ,
home made from tv flyback transformers and scr's. my father had the docket on
it and was published in the ge transistor manuals. then several came out you
could buy. i put a kit on the spyder. if you turned the switch on you had
smooth running up to the max rpm. if it was off it went nuts under boost. remember
this was in 1973 or before. i hid the unit under the spare tire mount. i did
not see much difference in running on non turbo engines.
regards, tim colson