<VV> Warning: synapse firing

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Nov 22 13:16:52 EST 2005

Suddenly occured to me that a fouled plug is really shorted and not open so
more volts and a larger gap will not help (in fact a smaller gap might be
advised). For a really lean (emissions controlled) idle, then lotsa
voltages and a wide gap might be more likely to find an ignitable charge
but that is not the case here. Mixture should be plenty rich but getting
carbon fouling theoretically from leakage through the exhaust valve guides
(explains crankcase blowby with good compression as well but would just a
worn guide have a big enough leak ? 6 of them ?)

This would explain why the Heathkit display seemed to shorten a lot when
the idle would drop - the plugs were dampening the spike below the trigger
point.

This also explains why my timing light stopped flashing - or does it ? The
timing light lead was on #1 and when in the reduced idle mode, pulling #1
would kill the engine so the plug was still firing at 350-400 rpm but the
timings light was not picking it up ? More questions but think I may put
the 60 KV coil on hold for a bit, sounds like it will not help here.

Padgett