<VV> AMerican cars--NO CORVAIR, probably should be off net

mygroups at frontiernet.net mygroups at frontiernet.net
Tue Nov 22 19:46:26 EST 2005

> How do you think Mexico built VW bugs until two years ago? And where
> do you think all those relatively-inexpensive parts come from? Were
> Germans who make $60 an hour and getting 15 weeks of vacation a year
> building them?

OLD Beetles going to be built in China now I'm told. For real...
Listened to a news article on Delphi. Steve Miller reported that their
floor sweepers and grass cutters make about $65 an hour... No wonder
manufacturing wants to go overseas... They could come to TN where
unions are optional... Have no idea if the UAW has them by the short
hairs and requires them to bring the UAW with them everywhere they move
in the USA. Of course further reading pointed out that the Delphi
leadership was push hard for up to 65% cuts in hourly salaries and some
of the managers were getting at the same time 30% to 250% bonuses so
they would stick around... Ahhh, capitalism at it's best. <sarcasm>
TOTALLY understand the the guy at the bottom is more easily replaced
than the guy at the top... Been an interesting topic. Chris
Cookeville