<VV> Corvair wiring web site

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 25 10:42:43 EST 2005

Hey Chuck,

I just went throught this myself.  Bob Helt's book "The Classic Corvair" has
a very good description in it in the Pertronix write up.

As I understand it, the "Ballast Resistor" is actually the fabric covered
brown wire going to the coil, it's job is to drop the voltage to the coil to
about 10Vs.  Suspecting that my current woes might be from the wire having
broken down and increasing the resistance because of age I needed to bypass
it, and still get the required voltage drop for my coil.  My local auto
parts store was able to hook my up with an actual ballast resistor
appropriate for the coil I was using.  It is like a ceramic piece about as
long as a cigarette and twice as wide, inside is a coiled (like a spring)
wire.

While I was at it, I added a second wire that bypassed the Ballast Resistor
and went directly to the Pertronix unit I had installed so that it could get
a full 12V.

The difference was impressive, my little 80hp engine became smoother, and
felt like it had picked up an additional  ten ponies.

Regards,
Joel