<VV> Re: RE-KEYING LOCK CYLINDERS

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 00:28:16 EST 2005

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:05:37 EST
>From: MoVair at aol.com
>Subject: <VV> RE-KEYING LOCK CYLINDERS
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>Hi folks,
>  I'm curious to know if anyone within CORSA and/or VirtualVairs knows  how
>to re-key a lock cylinder. Specifically, the ignition cylinder for my FC.  I'm
>thinking that the tumblers are getting a bit on the worn side, but I don't
>want to get an aftermarket replacement from NAPA. My key works just fine in my
>door locks and the thought of an extra key on my ring doesn't appeal to  me.
>  Anyone who can help, thanks! I do have the little "knock out" tag  from the
>original key and the code number is quite legible.
>
>               Corvairingly,
>             Kelly  Parker
>          MoVair at aol.com
>

>------------------------------

As they say, take the lock cylinder to the locksmith along with the
number tags. How, without taking the van? Put key in ignition lock, turn
counterclockwise, insert paper clip (or other stiff wire) in little hole
next to key, continue to turn counterclockwise. Lock cylinder will come
out in hand. Just take this part to locksmith. But, have you tried just
lubricating the lock with "LockEase" or powdered graphite? Also, the key
wears out much more rapidly then the tumblers. Have the locksmith make a
new "code cut" key from your numbers and try this before removing the
lock cylinder

Frank DuVal.