<VV> Motor Homes and Conventions

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Tue Nov 29 04:59:02 EST 2005

One consideration is that many locales have ordinances designed to protect
the hotel economy - no overnight camping allowed outside of
campgrounds.  Of course if you don't turn on any lights, or play loud music
you might get away with it, but we've never risked it nor were we
interested in giving up those basic conveniences.

At most of the conventions that we attended with the Ultra we did stay in
the host hotel,  but parked in the hotel parking lot.  Even when there were
motorhome restrictions, we were usually allowed to park our "Corvair" in
the hotel lot.  There were a few where the local conditions made parking
difficult - Lake Placid for instance - so we stayed at a campground.

In our experience, Collinsville was the most "Ultra" friendly
convention.  Space was provided for Ultra Vans and a number of folks stayed
in their coaches.  We opted to stay in the hotel.  Lexington was also very
convenient because of the large parking area that made parking the Ultras easy.

As Bob said, travelling to and from the conventions in a MH is a great way
to go.  For us it's even better because we can enjoy the trip and still get
to put our Corvair in the Car Display.

Ken