<VV> rekey

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 21:46:59 EST 2005

>>Specifically, the ignition cylinder for my FC.  I'm
>>thinking that the tumblers are getting a bit on the worn side, but I don't
>>want to get an aftermarket replacement from NAPA.
>>

>Why rekey ? Just remove the lock cylinder and with the key inserted use a
>small file to remove any high spots from the tumblers (low spots do not
>matter).
>
>Just adapted a glove box cyl to my Monza that way.
>
>Padgett

The glove box lock is built with different tumblers, the oval type.
Ignition locks, door locks and trunk locks use the little "h" shaped
tumblers that line up when the correct key is inserted to move a side
locking bar. The side locking bar  retracts into the lock cylinder to
allow the cylinder to rotate instead of the locking bar resting inside
of a grove in the outer cylinder. So, on these locks the locking bar is
the actual part stopping the cylinder from turning, unlike the glove box
lock that the tumblers fit into the outer cylinder to do the locking.

Frank DuVal