<VV> Straws and Lifters

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Nov 29 23:28:50 EST 2005

Was just playing with the idle again tonight and went through a period
where it would be at 600 in D, then drop to 350, then come back to 600 and
cycle like that for a while. Juggling the mixture has no discernable
effect. Change with Pertronix is that it does not stall at 350, just keeps
running.

Incidently I ran some tests and the Ignitor II with .6 ohm Coil is pulling
   .7a  -  700 rpm
   .9   - 1000
1.3   - 1500
1.7   - 2000
2.0   - 2500 (end of scale on dwell/tach)
so expect it would peak at 4 amps at 5000 rpm with about 3a at 3500 (70
mph). Talked with Pertronix and they feel the stock 18 gauge wiring is
adequate for mild street use and this test seems to corroberate.

What I am now wondering is that while there are no additional sounds if the
noisy idler is eliminated when it drops from 600 to 350  is it possible
that one or more lifters stop opening valves at low rpm ? Valves were
adjusted quite a bit tighter when I bought the car. Everything comes right
back given a little throttle. Are now adjusted at 1/4 turn from clack warm.
Am tempted to add another 1/4 turn across the board and see if anything
happens but thought I would ask if am just grasping at straws.

Padgett