<VV> Stuck needle

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Nov 30 13:07:29 EST 2005

At 08:04 hours 11/29/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/29/2005 7:45:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us
>writes:
>
> > Anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out ?
>******
>
>Heat the carb body in an oven.....the growth of the needle will break loose
>whatever is capturing it....when it cools....should fall out...

If this doesn't do it, do what I did last time...  break out the
soldering iron and carefully tin the top of the pump discharge needle
and then solder a length of heavy copper wire (~#10 for instance) to
the top.    This does double-duty for the discharge needle by first
heating it and also  allowing you to yank on it so as to get it
out.   Try not to let much flux run down into the discharge needle
bore; no need on making it any more stuck than it already is.

You need not worry about soldering the needle to the carb casting
since it's aluminum alloy and solder isn't gonna stick to
it.   Likewise, the solder can be easily removed from the needle once
it's loose.    You will  need a respectable iron to do this since the
carb body casting is gonna wanna sink the heat away from the needle
which might make it hard to get a good tinning so as to be able to
solder the wire to it.

Anyway, this trick always worked for me, never had one stick up bad
enough that this wouldn't remove it unless the casting and needle
were horribly corroded which would likely render the casting useless
to begin with.    Ditto the power valve needle (in the carbs that
used it) which is even worse for sticking and staying stuck.

tony..