<VV> Dual or Single Master Cylinder

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Wed Nov 30 11:20:09 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:18:13 -0500, Vairtec at optonline.net wrote:

>My answer is, "it doesn't matter."

>What matters is that the entire braking system be in top-notch shape.  A
>line failure with a dual master cylinder is not a happy event.  The
>residual braking capacity is practically nil.

Good advice to make sure the system is in top shape, but "practically nil" isn't "nil" (as with a single
master), so it _does_ matter. A dual master, by itself, does indeed make the braking system "safer", but
not "safe enough" without the rest of the system being in good shape.

I see dual masters as being somewhat like radial tires. Not necessary, but a good idea.

Bill Elliott