<VV> Dual Masters

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Nov 30 14:32:38 EST 2005

> >What matters is that the entire braking system be in top-notch shape.

Absolutely. Millions of cars were built with single masters. OTOH you do
have backups in the form of the gearshift and the umbrella handle under the
dash. And on the gripping hand,  Corvair Underground has not only a
complete kit but also is having a sale at the moment (through Dec 3rd -
plug - I do not often mention such unless I think it is a Good Thing).

Keep in mind that a dual master is not a cure all but rather cuts your
failure in half. One front and one rear makes for interesting effects in
the steering wheel.  Most front engine cars really do very little with the
rears (about 20%) are more important to keep a stop in a straight line
however the Corvair uses all four similarly so just rear or just front can
be useful.

Same-same with disk vs drum. A really good set of drums can work about as
well as disks with a lot less pedal pressure. So long as you do not have
more than one hard stop a minute from 70 or less, they can be just fine.
For road racing  or mountain driving there is no question that disks are
better. For a boulevard cruiser there is no real gain.

Padgett