<VV> Fuel Milage in winter - only minor Corvair

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 30 22:27:25 EST 2005

Mostly due to friction of one kind or another:

1) everything is colder.  Lubricants all through the driveline are all more
viscous, which results in more energy lost shearing them until they warm
up, which, of course, takes longer, because they are starting off colder.

2) the tires are also colder.  More energy is expended making them deform
every revolution until they warm up, which takes a long time since they're
thrashing through cold air.

3) the air around the car is colder, and denser.  It takes more energy to
push a car through the cold, dense air.

4) the warm-up cycle takes longer.  Water pumpers, in particular, have to
have really well-designed cooling systems to allow them to warm up at
all.  The effective efficiency of a radiator (expressed as a proportionate
delta T) is about 50% higher at 30 F than it is at 90 F, which means that
water going back into the engine is nearly always very close to ambient,
which is more than 100 F below regulated water jacket temperature.  And
since it's cold, so you're running the heater, which usually bypasses the
thermostat.

5) the energy density of winter-blend gasoline is lower.  It has to be made
from lighter compounds to give it a high enough vapor pressure to burn in a
cold engine.  These lighter compounds offer less energy per unit volume
than the heavier ones used in summer blends.

6) there's more likely to be something on the road.  And when you push the
tires through that something, you're applying energy to displace it from
the contact patch.  Here in PA, I always get noticeably worse fuel economy
during snowy weeks than I do in merely cold weeks.

7) The colder air does not burn fuel as efficiently (yes, it can make more
power, but not as efficiently) as hotter air does.  Most FI engines don't
have intake air preheating except to prevent throttle body icing.  Once the
engine's up to operating temperature, this is less of an issue, but see 4)
above.

8) are your tires at recommended pressure on the coldest day of the
year?  Mine aren't.

That's a good start, anyway.  Jim Burkhard might have some insight here.

-Rad Davis