<VV> Convertible Top Installation

Tom in Baltimore 62monza_coupe at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 20:30:49 EDT 2005

Well, my wife and I are pretty much done with putting the top on my daughter's '64 Monza. A real relationship builder. Yes, we're still on speaking terms. She did, however, tell me that I need to keep her away from any automotive engineer associated with the design of the on-and-off-and-on-and-off-and-on-and-off-and-on trim sticks.

I'm now stuck with some finishing issues.

First. How do I cut the hidem strip over the rear bow. Do I install the little chrome pieces and mark the piece before cutting? Do I cut it straight across or at some angle?

Second. How do I cut the front trim piece and what do I do with the ends? Do I cut the piece flush with the top edges? Do I glue anything down or does it just get stapled and left unfinished?

Third. I'm having lots of trouble installing the SS trim strips that enclose the rear opening of the salon (the ones with the snaps). Do I install the clips first and "pop" the strips over them, or slide the clips into the strips and then slide the assembly over the body's metal? Do the end pieces fit inside or slide over the outside of the main strips? Should I put paper between the clips and the body's metal?

Thanks in advance.

Tom in Baltimore
'63 Monza Sedan (my daily driver)
'64 Monza Convertible (father-daughter project)
'62 Monza Coupe (father-daughter project)
http://www.geocities.com/hughest_tom