<VV> battery numbers

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Oct 2 21:52:05 EDT 2005

If you are looking for a stock appearing battery, contact Antique Automotive
Co: WWW.ANTIQUEAUTOBATTERY.COM you need to call them or e-mail them - copy
of their responses to me is shown below.  However, if all you want is a
battery, and don't car if it is stock, you can go to any local auto store
and ask for a 51 or 51R (terminals are reversed on the R - I really don't
remember which is correct, so look at them and get the one that has the
positive terminal where you want it).  The 51/51R is a longer life battery
than the stock 53 battery, and is only slightly wider, a fair bit shorter
(which leaves you room to store a couple of bottle of Oil or ATF in the
battery box), and a bit taller.  Another option is a group 29NF, if you can
find one - it is exactly the same length, slightly wider, and a bit taller
than a group 53.  I got a group 29NF several years ago from Exide, but I
don't know if they still sell them.  Overall, you will be happy with the
51/51R, unless you really want the stock look.  If so, see the e-mail
information below.

Here is a helpful chart of battery sizes for you:
http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Here is a link to Exide Battery specs - 2003:
http://www.exideworld.com/pdf/exide_specs_april_2003.pdf
Look about 2/3rds way down on 2nd page and you will see the 29NF under
EXIDE® AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY - 40-MONTH WARRANTY - MAINTENANCE FREE - 12 VOLT

29NF 29NF-40 420 465 90 13 5-1/2 9

Anyway, it looks like they might still sell the 29NF - I found this entry in
the catalog, anyway.  There used to be an Exide outlet in Chesapeake or
Suffolk - I don't remember which, but Smitty would know.

If you really want a lot of battery information, try the Exide catalog:
http://www.exideworld.com/pdf/Exide_2002_catalog.PDF
File is about 6.8 MB, so I hope you have a broadband connection.

Bill