<VV> Happy Birthday Corvair???? (LONG) (humor?)

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 3 03:01:37 EDT 2005

Sooo ...............Hubblescope, In your attempts
to commit suicide we may surmise
the following:  MOPAR products are more prone to
failure than Corvairs; In general, those
considering suicide do not choose Toyota's;
Corvairs previously owned by astronauts are
often purchased by "space cadets" and........
Doctors seldom work 8 hour days before they
attempt vehicular suicide !!! <GGG> It's nice to
see your post even if it's a "late" post
EH, "What's up Doc"????
da Chuckster
Chuck Armer
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
t 11:13 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
>snip
>Happy Birthday?  I'll settle for just being alive - both me AND my Corvair.
>It happened like this......
>On Thursday I was driving my '96 Dodge Caravan
>during morning rush hours, on the way to meet a
>friend, when the engine suddenly died.  I
>futilely attempted to restart the engine while
>hoards of angry drivers honked and flipped me
>off, nearly hitting each other as they swerved
>madly around either side of my
>car.  Fortunately, my friend was nearby when I
>called her and she was able to drive quickly
>over to my location.  With her car stopping
>traffic, the two of us were able to push the
>Caravan out of the traffic lane and into a
>nearby parking lot.  I called the dealer and a
>tow truck was dispatched to haul my car away for repairs.
>
>With the Caravan out of commission for a few
>days, I turned to my faithful Dodge truck for
>transportation.  That vehicle took car of me for
>the next day, but when I came out of the house
>early Saturday morning, on my way to start a 14
>hour day at the office, I found the left front
>tire completely flat, due to a nail.  The tire
>was so flat the bead had broken, so I couldn't
>easily re-inflate it and I was short on time for
>getting to work. My wife offered her Toyota, but
>I didn't think I'd be able to handle the clutch
>with the cast on my left foot.  So I turned to
>the John Glenn Convertible ('64 Corvair)
>
>The Glenn car fired right up.  I noticed the gas
>gauge was low, but the needle was still above
>empty, so I figured I would have no problem.  It
>got me to work in time, no problem.
>
>Fourteen and one-half hours later (10:30pm) I
>left the office and fired up the Corvair.  I
>glanced again at the gas gauge, but it still
>read about one-eighth tank, and being very
>tired, I decided to drive home and get gas the
>next day.  I'd never had a Corvair run out of
>gas until the needle was below empty anyway, so
>I wasn't worried.  I left the parking lot and
>drove to the nearest highway entrance ramp to
>take the short quick trip home.  I had just
>gotten up to speed (about 70 mph) and was at
>that point on I-264 where the entrance lanes
>were merging into the highway, at which point
>the shoulder disappears for about a half
>mile.  In this city, everybody drives on the shoulder lane anyway.
>Then it happened.
>The car started slowing down.
>It was SLOWING DOWN!!!
>THE ENGINE DIED!!!
>I slipped the car into neutral and hastily tried
>to restart the car -- NO DICE!
>I coasted, hoping against hope to make it to the
>point where the shoulder came back.  I
>desperately wanted to get the car off the highway.It didn't happen.
>The car stopped in the worst possible spot:
>--about a quarter mile past the end of the
>shoulder and a quarter mile before the breakdown lane began again;
>--where the two ramp lanes from I-64 narrow down
>to one and begin their merge onto I-264;
> [...]
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD