<VV> Fuel Filters

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 20:16:34 EDT 2005

I have seen cracked leaking  plastic filters on cars that have come in
for service -- I have also seen metal ones that have rubbed through due
to poor placement and were leaking. Both *can* happen. The big
difference, is that if you do have a fire due to some other cause, the
plastic ones that I am familiar with can melt, simply adding fuel to the
fire. Of course, by that time, things are probably not going too well
anyway ...

Also, I've seen the plastic ones installed between the fuel pump and
carb on Chevy V-8's where they are melting against the exhaust manifold
-- again, poor installation, but it happens.

I am just not a big fan of plastic or glass fuel filters. I think they
lower the odds.

My Opinion -- if you choose to disagree, that is fine with me, but it is
still my opinion based on many years of hands on  experience in the
automotive trades and I rather doubt anyone here will change those
opinions by speaking otherwise.  Same for pouring goop (the polite term)
into a fuel tank to seal it. I am willing to share my opinions hoping
that some may become more enlightened about what works and what doesn't
work when you are in it for the long haul.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland