<VV> Police Harassment / Antique Plates

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Oct 4 12:59:49 EDT 2005

At 03:42 hours 09/30/2005, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:

>Actually, when I first got my Corvair I was planning on just
>registering it as a regular car - I kind of wish I had now. It's
>become a matter of principle now.  No bully cop is force me to do
>something the law says I don't have to.  Unless I just run out of
>energy and break down and go down the path of least resistance and
>get the stinkin thing inspected just to get this punk off of my back.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea.

A cop who makes up his own rules as he sees fit is as bad or worse
than the perpetrator who breaks the valid laws in the first
place.    Until the cop runs for office and is elected by the public
to represent their best interests according to Law, the cop has no
place in *making* law.   Just because it's not what *he* thinks is
right does not matter.   He's wrong and that's that.    If you let
him get away with it, it's only gonna empower him to make the next
guy's life miserable.

There used to be a cop on the "main drag" weekend cruise strip
(Williamson Rd) here in town who had a thing against motorcycles, and
when he was working the weekend evening shift in District Six (the
cruise area) he would pull over every and any motorcycle that dared
to make a pass down the three-mile-stretch of cruise strip.   This
happened again and again over and over, and he usually would find a
reason to either tell the biker to stay off the cruise strip or cite
them for one thing or another.    The guy got to be popular, was
talked about by everybody on the strip who had a motorcycle.   I
avoided the Strip with my bike at that time, didn't wanna put up with
the nonsense, having already been around and around with the
musclecar-nazis in patrol cars who arbitrarily stopped anything with
Cragar SS mags and dual exhaust and gave them a roadside safety
inspection and would ticket anything that didn't pass for whatever
reason.   Thus, I avoided Williamson Rd on weekend nights while on
the bike.

This went on for about three weeks or so, with Officer Antibike
pulling over anything with two wheels before evidently stopping the
wrong guy and then "left the force to find other employment"
according to scuttlebutt.   I suspect he pulled over and preached to
a lawyer on a 10,000 buck Goldwing who had no sense of humor...  ;)

tony..