<VV> Garage doors--- no Corvair

RKB rkbyers at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 17:01:29 EDT 2005

I wish only to add a word of caution concerning garage door springs, having become a garage door mechanic when my Engineering degree first failed to find me employment.
Depending on which kind you have, the cheaper and more common type these days is the spring which pulls on either side.  this depends on a firm foundation on which to anchor these spring mounts to the ceiling of the garage.  Please beware the severe dangers involved with these springs letting go.  My advice to you is that if the spring has been there for many years and breaks on one side, do yourself a favor and replace the other.
One of the greatest difficulties is ensuring that the door does not pull to one side when going up for down.  Sometimes springs break due to binding or improper riding of the rollers in the track.  Keep the track well lubricated with grease (synthetic, especially  if it gets cold where you are) and the rollers also.  Make sure that the brackets holding the rollers are tight: they loosen up more often than you might think.  make sure the rollers on both sides ride the track properly.  You can see the tracks of the rollers if you look carefully as the door is moved.
Lastly, if you require info on doors, I would be glad to provide it: just remember that each time you paint your door, it becomes heavier by the weight of the paint.  Over 20 years or so, this is a considerable increase.  The springs are being asked to do more than they did when the door was installed.
Ron B
Largo, FL