<VV> Re: Delphi (AC Delco [sic]) declares bankruptcy (NO CORVAIR)

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 8 23:33:51 EDT 2005

Craig, et al...

I have some (ahem) first hand knowledge of the situation,
but don't want to comment since somebody would yell at me if
anything went out with any slight factual errors.

One minor clarification, though. Delphi isn't AC Delco....
It's a bit confusing, but the current AC Delco is GM's
service parts marketing name.  It doesn't matter what
company made the part for them -- AC Delco is what GM puts
on the box. In years past, these parts would be mostly made
by the varied divisions that were later spun off into Delphi
(Rochester Products, AC Spark Plug, Harrison, Delco
Electronics, Inland Fisher Guide, Delco Products, Delco
Remy, Saginaw Steering, Delco Moraine, Packard Electric,
etc.), but that isn't necessarily the case today.

After the GM/Delphi divorce, GM kept the "AC Delco"
marketing name, since GM customers knew it like Ford
customers know Motorcraft.  The parts can come from any
manufacturer, though, including Delphi competitors.

Now, if the current business situation was that easy!

Jim