<VV> Steering boxes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 23:25:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/9/2005 11:45:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:

As some  of you may know, I'm heavily involved in street rods; I run a shop
specializing in street rods and custom cars.  Over the last 10 years,  I have
NEVER seen a Corvair steering box on any one of them!  I don't  know what the
configuration would be that uses one - perhaps a bucket T  with a four-bar
and a
beam axle. .  .  .  .   I wouldn't worry
about a relatively small number of original boxes  going that way.  Use the
money to buy Corvair parts you really  need!
Craig N.

In my dealings with the Flaming River folks, I heard their take on the
Corvair Box. They said that indeed the newer rods do use Rack &  Pinions, usually a
Mustang II variant. The people who had been coming to  them were folks who
had built rods back in the 60's and seventies using the  early model Corvair
aluminum boxes. (probably not your Clientele, Craig!)The box  was marginal in the
Corvair with the aluminum case (Chevy changed to steel, and  a famous Stinger
crashed when the box failed at speed) but it looked nice  especially when
polished. The folks coming to Flaming River told them that the  box was worn out.
Of course they were overstressing the box with front engines  and more
weight. They were trying to keep their old rods "period unique" and  were not
interested in changing to the rack & pinion. Flaming river decided  to make the
reversed box for the rodders. I got involved at that time, Thanks to  the SEMA and
PRI shows) and urged them to build 1) the Corvair box in it's  original
direction and 2) the quick ratio optional box for the Corvair. I sent  them three
Corvair Steering boxes for examination, including the quick one from  my 66.
They originally chose aluminum for the box, but changed to  the steel box,
deciding to chrome the steel for the Show-rodders, and retain the  stronger
housing material. They are making both ratios for the Corvair, standard  and quick
in both painted steel and chrome. I am a bit distressed over their  choice of
lube for the box. They are using a red lube supplied by Citgo. This  has
separated and leaked a bit for several folks. Flaming River says this  eventually
dries and the boxes then won't leak. But it is not a clean  solution. For
racers - It is not a problem - a few drops on the floor for a  while is of no
consequence.  Show folks are concerned. Of course  they could seal them the way GM
suggested, permatex on the adjuster threads.  Yecch! but effective! - Seth
Emerson