<VV> Coil Heater

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Mon Oct 10 19:21:55 EDT 2005

Padgett -- if it's any consolation, my '66 Corsa turbo engine has a
"coil heater" hole just as you describe.

The car is a November '65 production unit, built in the Willow Run
assembly plant.  The hole was there from new -- the sheet metal on
the engine is the original although it has been repainted.  I don't
have an definitive information on what it's for but my guess is that
it's actually for cooling the coil.  While I don't know how much
mixing goes on in the cooling air paths, however, based upon it's
position, the air getting to that hole would not have passed through
the cylinder fins or heads and is probably fairly cool.  I should
stick a thermometer in the air stream and find out.

It's possible that this hole was made in anticipation of using an
external ballast resistor mounted with the coil instead of the
in-the-wiring harness resistor wire they did use.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, 66 Corsa turbo