<VV> Alternator Regulator Voltage Setting

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 12:34:26 EDT 2005

<snip>
While going through everything else I noticed very high battery voltages.
Pulling the regulator off (nut inside the rubber bushing which spins takes
a 5/16" wrench) & hooking to a power supply I found the regulator was
regulating but at over 16v. Backed things down to 14.3-14.5 volts but book
only discusses setting on the car and when hot.

Is this a reasonable cold setting ? Padgett <unsnip>

Cold?  What's your ambient temperature there in sunny Florida? 90F <GGG>

Book says 13.8 to 14.8 at 85F.  I'm guessing your ambient is about 70F so
that puts you just barely a little teeny bit high.  I don't have actual numbers
in front of me, but as I recall the voltage at 100F should be in the low 13
range and at 40F it's in the low 15 range.  I don't think you will have any
trouble with your current (GGG) setting, but if you did it would be abnormal
battery outgassing and water consumption.  Try it and see.
Craig Nicol