Fwd: <VV> Harmonic Balancer install

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 14:37:19 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/11/2005 7:52:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

> How  do you remove the bolt from the balancer &"torque to specs" after
> replacement ? This is a powerglide car so cannot just put in gear and set
> the brake. Suggestions please.
>
> Padgett

Padgett,

I used a small piece of 2x4 in the open part of the PG bellhousing to support
a large screwdriver (and, once, a jack handle) that was placed in one of the
ring gear teeth.  Have someone steady it while you torque the harmonic
balancer bolt.  I've never broken anything this way.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'645 Brier
'65 Corsa