<VV> Providing Answers

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Fri Oct 14 19:38:06 EDT 2005

Actually, I was the one burned by the young lady who needed the cylinder
head swap - I did all the work for her (Hank Horton provided the engine but
I pulled all the parts, and did all the work in my driveway, etc).  All I
asked of her was an article for the club magazine and I never got it.  She
left the club shortly after I got her car running - sold it without even
telling us.

I have also been burned by several others - they start off saying they want
to learn, but sooner or later they get upset when something goes wrong with
the car and they sell it without ever even asking for help.  they usually
are people who do not attend meetings regularly or participate in any of the
events.  We have given several tech sessions over the years and the people
who drop out are the ones who never come to the Tech sessions , then
complain that we don't "help" them.  Seems all they really want is for us to
become their private mechanics.

Yes, I have given parts, time, service to many who did not give anything
back and in the end they left the club anyway.  It does sort of make you
bitter over time.

As for me, I did learn a lot from our tech sessions - I had never rebuilt a
Powerglide before we had a tech session on it, and now I have done it six or
seven times.  But then, I was always a quick study.  For me the motto, "See
one, Do one, Teach one" works.  Unfortunately, for far too many others,
their motto is "Do it for me"

Bill Hubbell