<VV> Providing Answers

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Oct 14 20:24:02 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/14/05 7:39:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
whubbell at cox.net writes:
Actually, I was the one burned by the young lady who needed the cylinder
head swap - I did all the work for her (Hank Horton provided the engine but
I pulled all the parts, and did all the work in my driveway, etc).  All I
asked of her was an article for the club magazine and I never got it.  She
left the club shortly after I got her car running - sold it without even
telling us.
Bill,
    Similar thing happened to me.  Some years ago I was driving locally and
spotted a Corvair pulled over by the side of the road so I stopped.  He had a
tow truck there who was offering to tow him to a garage.  When I asked what the
problem was, it turned out to be a fanbelt that had jumped off the pulley.
So I told him to save his money, send the tow truck away and I'd fix it for
him.  Since I wasn't in a Corvair, I had to go a few miles home, get the correct
wrench and return.  I reinstalled the fanbelt (which wasn't damaged), adjusted
the tension and gave him my phone # and told him about our local club.  He,
of course, didn't offer to pay me for my time but promised to "have me over for
a drink" and come to a club meeting.  As you might expect, I didn't hear
anything from him for about 2 years until one day I got a call from him (he still
had my name and number) wanting to know if I would buy his Corvair.  I told
him to send an advertisement to our newsletter editor but I don't think he ever
did.
    I call these people "parasites".
    Frank "disheartened" Burkhard