<VV> Providing Answers

Kevin Spargur southernheritage at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 15 00:10:50 EDT 2005

Smitty,

You're preaching to the choir on being used and abused for the knowledge
each of us posses.  I for one have been taken advantage of just as you
though not in regards to Corvairs and such.

I was brought up to always do good and to help others and that,
eventually- if done with the right heart/mind/attitude, it will always
come back in time.  Sometimes, I wonder exactly when all the good will
come back though that is not the reason why I did what I did at the time
I did it.  There have been times where I needed help and the very ones
who I had helped were "too busy" or "don't have the time".  Other times,
I helped only to see my work show up in someone else's hands and the
person I helped receiving the credit for it.  Though it did/does
bothered me, I knew my heart was in the right place and that was all
that mattered.

Knowing what I know now, will/would I do it again?  I'll answer with a
resounding MOST DEFINITELY!  My heart and attitude were/are in the right
place and, in the end, that is all that matters in the eyes of God.
Does it mean that I will probably be taken advantage of in the future?
Most likely so.  As a result of past "perceived" injustices, will I no
longer offer or be less likely to provide open help outside of the scope
of directing individuals to the source for their answers?  Most likely
not except in extreme cases... such as those where people absolutely
refuse to either help themselves or are not willing to learn.

All I am saying is, don't give up on people.  We must educate those who
ask for assistance but we must also be willing to take that education
beyond the scope of just pointing those same people to a paper
reference.  Do you remember the older Chiltons manuals?  They give
details for certain procedures but fail to enlighten as to what other
steps you may need to perform in order to get to the place where you can
perform what you need to.  My experience with both Chiltons manuals and
computers has taught me that, unless someone has the technical
background to accompany the printed resource, the printed resource in
most cases can be more of a hinderance than a help.

To each his own.  I will continue trying to help others as I would like
to be helped.  If that means I get taken advantage of sometimes, then so
be it.  However, I prefer to look at it as another opportunity for me to
learn and to help them learn.

Kevin Spargur
'67 Monza 2-dr HT
Jacksonville, Florida