<VV> Re: cam gear issues

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 17:56:32 EDT 2005

Mine was an aftermarket gear.

When I bought the car, it had a broken tooth on the cam.  I drove it for
130K miles , and had run fine.  At that point, since the engine was apart
for a dropped seat, I decided to do the lower end and replaced the gear
(good shop).  It went 10K miles, split the hub, slid forward to where it hit
the bellhousing (faint scraping noise), and broke in a big circle through
the two holes in the hub.  Preventative maintenance.  Not always a good
idea.  Too bad I didn't know Deckrug then - he'd have talked me out of it.

Roger