<VV> No gas pedal

Dennis & Debbie Pleau ddpleau at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 15 21:09:59 EDT 2005

Since I originally posted this question the car was buried under 18" of
snow with 4' drifts around it, but this is Colorado, so it warmed up and
now we only have a trace of show.  I pulled it into the garage and jacked
it up and found, the rubber grommet at the bell crank on the transmission
was gone and the rod and bell cranks were about an inch apart.  The plastic
bushing had most of the shoulder broken off  and a crack through the
barrel.  The C-clip was intact and looked good.  Since I need the car
tomorrow, I din't have time to order the parts from a vendor.  I decided to
go to the hardware store and see what I could make work.  First though was
some kind of plumbing rubber washer to replace the missing grommet and then
a couple of fender washers to keep everything together.  I didn't find
anything close to the dimensions in needed,  Next I went to the hardware
section and found a 1/4 id by 3/8 od bronze bushing and a rubber stopper as
well as the fender washers.  I thought I could cut the bushing to the
correct length, drill the stopper to fit over it and then take a slice of
the stopper where it had the correct id to fit in the bell crank and slap
the fender washers on each side to keep everything together.  That way I
would have a good bearing surface, to replace the plastic bearing surface
and a rubber connection to reduce the vibration in the pedal, just like the
factory.  When I got home, I cut the bushing and opened up the drawer on my
tool box where the razor knife is to cut the cork and noticed a short piece
of 3/8" fuel line, I checked the od was a perfect fit in the bell crank and
the id was a perfect fit over the bushing I had created.  I used the fuel
hose in place of the rubber stopper, put everything together and now have a
very solid connection, probably a lot more solid than the factory.  Since
the only friction surface is a bronze bushing on a steel shaft (which I
lubricated before installing) I expect it to last for a long time.

Next time I send in a parts order to a vendor, I'll probably get the proper
parts, just so I have them if something goes wrong, but I think my solution
will last for a long time and it is fail safe.  If the rubber hose fails, I
pick up some slack, but the bell crank is captured between the fender washers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Dennis