<VV> Re: rocker arm ratios

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Oct 17 15:28:57 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/17/05 10:33:54 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
kirbyasmith at gwi.net writes:

> the rocker arms are slotted where
> they mount to their studs.  Wouldn't this make the differential ratio
> variable over the valve cycle?
>
> kirby

Hi Kirby,
Well, while I agree with the slight change in ratio at the tip, during a
rocker cycle (due to the rocker sliding over the valve tip), I can't agree that
there would be any change due to the slots. Wear patterns on worn engines show
that the rocker pivots right on the ball without sliding in the slot. Thus, if
I understand your question, I'd say no.

Also as I referenced making a rocker measurement with two dial mikes, I don't
see that your question changes that suggestion.

Regards,
Bob Helt