<VV> Tires, sizes and "look"

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 20 13:03:19 EDT 2005

Ah, but there's the rub :-)  Problem is, most of the places I know of
that sell new tires, it's "you buy 'em you bought 'em".  So, a few

  - Find a used tire place, and hopefully find a tire of the type you
want, mount it, and see how it looks.
  - Go to a Corvair event, and check out what other folks are using.
  - Look at web sites with photos.  I have a page with some non-stock
sizes, I try to get as much info as I can so you'll know what it looks
like.  Gary Aube and Scott Trunkhill (to name just a couple) have lots
of photos too, you can probably get more info on the specific tires on
a car with a little investigation.

I'll say that although there is some variation from manufacturer to
manufacturer, generally speaking a given brand will be consistent in
size.  As others have noted, the specs are often available, so if
you're looking for a tire that's say, a little taller, you can use
those sizes to get a good idea of how it will look.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa