<VV> Corvair 5 speed

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Thu Oct 20 15:29:41 EDT 2005

mygroups at frontiernet.net wrote:
> I just saw a DMC 12 (Delorian)...
>
> Basic layout transaxles that might do the work: Audi and Subbieroo.
> Chris Cookeville '78 VW Westy (Corvair powered)

Ignoring the argument about when a Corvair isn't a Corvair, somewhere
between changing the o-ring material and changing the drive train, I can
report that the Audi transaxle and tranny are like that of the Corvair
in the sense that the drive for the front wheels goes from clutch thru
the diff and into the tranny and then returns to the diff.  Quattro
Audis have the power split in the tranny via a torsen arrangement in the
tranny tail piece and the rear wheel power continues aft to the rear
differential via two CV joints, a U-joint and two drive shafts.  (Anyone
for Corvair all-wheel drive?)  I do not recall in which direction the
engine rotates versus the wheels to know if an Audi assembly would
provide a Corvair 5 speeds in forward or reverse.  I'll try to remember
to look.

The 5th gear on my ur-S6 is an overdrive ratio, maybe 0.79:1 TBD, and
the differentials are 4.11:1, I think.  One might also consider 6-speed
trannys from neu-S4s.  I don't know their particulars.

kirby