<VV> :Tire size

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 20 17:38:45 EDT 2005

I suspect, for a given design tire, the effective rolling radius is a
function of load, temperature, air pressure, and rotational speed. At load
speeds, seems to me the effective radius is less than the circular radius
resulting in a rotatating "circumference" less than an unloaded tire
circumference, but  with increasing rpm, then growing with rpm and exceeding
the unloaded circumference at some point due to rotational forces with
increasing rpm. In other words, the tire becomes circular and bigger than
the unloaded radius, thereby giving a larger circumference.

So, when you get to a130 -150 mph, there probably isn't much distortion of
the circular radius at speed. From then on, you are going even faster than a
calculated rpm-derived speed.

Chuck S
BBRT