Corvair Attributes Re: <VV> Vega (No Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Oct 21 13:40:03 EDT 2005

At 07:04 hours 10/20/2005, Bill Elliott wrote:

> >A friend of mine has a Porsche 924S. It has 4 wheel disc brakes AND a drum
> >parking brake. The rear rotor had a small drum and "baby" shoes
> just for the
> >emergency/parking brake. Hand it to German engineers to design the
> best and
> >simple all at the same time.
> >

>Actually Volvo 240 series had that from the mid 70's and I think
>Corvettes had it even earlier?
>
>Bill

For what it's worth, pre-65 "big" Mopars had a small drum on the
tailshaft of the gearbox with small shoes for the e-brake.   So did
some rear engine'd Fiats only the e-brake drum stuck out the front of
the transaxle.    Of course all these vehicles had 4 drum brakes on
the corners...   "and a 5th under the seat".

Now, when will the thread about  the lack of a "Park" position on
automatic equipped Vairs start up?

tony..