<VV> New Garage - Lighting

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sat Oct 22 23:14:44 EDT 2005

It's hard to do better all-around than good quality, modern fluorescent
tubes that have a high Color Rendering Index (low 90s tends to be pretty
true without the premium cost of getting still closer to 100). Mercury vapor
and other kinds of specialty lights have some supposed advantages but they
also have some big downsides, such as cost, amount of light output variance
over the life of the bulb, and startup time. By output variance I mean that
some bulb types start out really bright but their output curves down for
quite some time before the bulb blows, whereas fluorescents tend to have
about the same output until the die.

Be sure you work with someone who knows how to lay out lighting properly.
You should have about 100 candles/foot at the floor. You can go somewhat
brighter but you actually can get it too bright, which is just as bad as too
dim. Working with someone who knows their stuff will also help with fixture
placement to help ensure that you minimize shadows--something you definitely
want to avoid.

--Kent