<VV> Re: Garage Heating

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Oct 26 09:51:28 EDT 2005

At 01:37 PM 10/24/05 -0400, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:

>2)   what happened to wood stoves? no one has even mentioned them, or
>the safety issues involved -- the son-in-law's family just burned down
>Deer Camp, wood stove the likely culprit ...

Insurance companies flatly refuse to write any policy for a garage heated
with a wood stove.  It is commonly done in these parts however...

The slick way to do wood heat is to set up an outdoor wood-fired boiler or
install a conventional wood-fired boiler in a small [concrete, fireproof]
outbuilding.  This way the danger of fire and the inherent wood debris mess
is contained to one small structure.  Hot water from the boiler is then
piped underground to the buildings.  I will eventually have this type of
system to heat my house, using a coil unit in the existing LP gas
furnace.  The [future] shop will have a radiant slab.  An indirect-fired
water heater will provide DHW.  In our case, it helps that we have about 80
acres of forest from which to harvest firewood.

Now I just need to set up wind generator to be that much more self-sufficient.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI