<VV> CHT

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 14:00:03 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/26/2005 10:39:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

> Took first extended drive last evening (about 30 miles/55-70 mph) and did
> not see much change in CHT. #2 plug was reading 280-300F and #5 260-280F.
> Doors are removed but lower shroud is on. Starts easily but wants to idle
> for a minute or two before happy about going into gear. 60F weather.
>
> Are these temperatures normal ? Am thinking about putting the doors back on
> but only found one reference (in Bob's book) to opening temperature - 205F.
> Also the 140 "stock engine test" does not seem to mention any cylinder head
> temperatures, all I have found are deltas. What is the normal CHT ? I have
> not seen over 300F as yet.
>
> Back at the stock engine test. In the front are photographs of the test
> rigs. One on page 10 clearly shows a cooling fan with over 20 vanes on a
> four carb engine. Anyone know what is going on ?
>
> Padgett

Those temps sound right for sparkplug hole reads....Thermister in in a hole
directly behind combustion chamber [ try to drill a 110 head for a
thermister...and you drill thru to the chamber! /  ran one that way for 13k miles!  gggg

Not one to use books / manuals.....I'd always heard that engine
Dyno tests were done without

Fan, mufflers,  alternator.......

This must've been a "better idea"  that went south...$$$  or design...

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug