<VV> Unknown screech noise in/on engine

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Thu Oct 27 14:09:21 EDT 2005

       After 37 years dealing with vairs, I found a new (to me) noise. Just
after changing spark plugs (Autolite 425) the engine began to make a
constant screeching noise, like moving a metalic cap (like old fashion soft
drinks) on a flat glass. The noise is constant with the engine ruuning. The
pitch is really high. Took off the belt for isolating alternator, belt
tensioner and fan bearings with no change. The noise pitch is different from
dry rocker arms, dry valve stems or a loose bellhousing bolt against the
flywheel.
      Think that changing plugs had nothing to do and was just coincidental.
Engine is a 110 with less than 2,000 miles, no oil comsuption, no oil smoke.

      Would somebody point me on what can cause this noise ?.... thanks in
advance for any help.

      Daniel Monasterio