<VV> Idle with Rattle

Wade Halsey HiHal at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 27 14:28:40 EDT 2005

A 3 foot length of water pumper heater hose used as a stethoscope will
isolate noises from other engine sounds and make it obvious where your
problem sound is coming from.

Wade Halsey

Padgett wrote:

> Now that my 110/PG is idling, there is one specific RPM somewhere
> between 600 and 900 (est.) that causes quite a loud and very tinny
> rattle. Not detonation. Little above and a little below it goes away.
> Any ideas what might cause this ? (note: harmonic balancer just
> replaced with a new Dale rebuilt unit).

> Daniel Monasterio wrote:

After 37 years dealing with vairs, I found a new (to me) noise. Just
after changing spark plugs (Autolite 425) the engine began to make a
constant screeching noise, like moving a metalic cap (like old fashion
soft drinks) on a flat glass. The noise is constant with the engine
ruuning. The pitch is really high. Took off the belt for isolating
alternator, belt tensioner and fan bearings with no change. The noise
pitch is different from dry rocker arms, dry valve stems or a loose
bellhousing bolt against the flywheel.